Foley Law Group
Tom Foley is President of FOLEY LAW GROUP LLC, a St. Paul, Minnesota, based law firm concentrating on tribal law, administrative law, Indian gaming law, and regulatory and
Foley’s background includes twenty-one years in law enforcement and a three-year presidential appointment as Commissioner, Vice-Chairman, and Acting Chairman of the National Indian Gaming Commission (1995-1998). Since leaving the Commission, Foley established a national law practice with an emphasis is on gaming law, representing tribes and gaming corporations on State and Federal regulatory and administrative issues.
Examples of services provided in this area of practice include:
- Negotiating and drafting Indian gaming development, consulting, management and ancillary financing agreements;
- Counseling related to the NIGC approval process and BIA fee-to-trust land transfers; environmental review of proposed gaming projects;
- Negotiating and advising in connection with tribal–state gaming compacts;
- Supporting tribal gaming commissions with NIGC and state gaming regulatory compliance;
- Assisting gaming equipment vendors with NIGC and tribal regulatory compliance;
- Serving as legal counsel to tribal gaming commissions;
- And, providing legislative and administrative government relations assistance and legal advice to tribal governments and enterprises.
In providing these services, Foley brings over a decade of experience working extensively with the U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), the U.S. Justice Department and the National Indian Gaming Commission (NIGC).
Proof of his success is demonstrated by his recognition in the 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 editions of The Best Lawyers in America in Gaming Law.
In addition to his work on the national level, Foley has distinguished himself as a public servant in his home state of Minnesota. His experience includes:
- Representing the State of Minnesota before the U.S. Senate, the House of Representative, and federal agencies, while serving as Director of the Washington, D.C. office of Governor Jesse Ventura;
- An appointment by Governor Ventura as a Commissioner on the Metropolitan Airports Commission (1999-2009);
- Serving on the Governor’s Commission on Congressional and Legislative Redistricting (2000); He also served
- Deputy Commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Corrections (1976-1978);
- Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Minnesota (1973-1976);
- And, serving four terms as the elected Ramsey County Attorney (1978-1995) in St. Paul. As County Attorney, he was the chief prosecutor for this capitol jurisdiction.
Contact Tom Foley:
Mobile Phone: 651 214 9978